Friday 13 March 2015

Film Ident: Making the Ident

I used photoshop to create my film ident. I have used photoshop before and therefore it wasn't that difficult for me to use and I was able to create my ident fairly quickly. Photoshop allowed me to take a pre-existing image and edit the brightness of the image and then add font underneath it. This programme was very useful as it allowed me to edit the image I wanted for my main ident and customise it so that it was appropriate for my film company specifically. The tools this programme includes allows easy access to editing images and also lets you change a lot about an image if you want it to be unique e.g. cropping, contrast, brightness etc. One of the best features this programme involves is that it uses different layers for images so this means that the user can edit completely separate images together or focus on one element of the image individually and make changes to that. For my ident I personally only used it to edit the sunset image and to combine the font with this image so it appeared clearly underneath.


The top image shows a picture of the original sunset image. As you can clearly see it was a lot larger and brighter than before I did anything to edit it in photoshop. The second picture shows the initial stages of editing in photoshop where I have used the tools to change the brightness so the image is darker overall as I feel this makes the image look more like a conventional ident and it works to brighten the main sunshine in the centre   effectively as the outline of the    
                                                                                                       image is darker.
The bottom screenshot shows my final ident, I have kept the design simple yet I still think it is effective and memorable. Sunsets are appealing and are an icon of beauty and peace, they are therefore often used to provoke happiness in people. Therefore, I think this ident is very appealing as the sunset image itself is uplifting and uses a huge range of bright colours that stand out, also I like the way the sunshine is reflected clearly in the water. I have used this reflection to attempt to link slightly to the production companies ident as it is in line with the 'P' in the word pictures. The actual title for my ident is simple as well, however I felt that this simplicity would make it memorable. Also the title of my production company is closely associated with it's logo for obvious reasons, however this then means that the target audience will associate the two together and therefore be more likely to recognise and remember the ident. The 'pictures' part of the title is used as my company is a film company and films are often and historically referred to as "pictures" and actual cinemas used to be referred to as pictures widely as well, therefore the name is intended to link to the film industry.