Sunday 1 March 2015

Initial Trailer Editing: Outdoor and Indoor shots

 I have finished filming all of my shots and have now started editing my shots and placing them into a timeline order that I think best represents the narrative of my film. For this initial editing I am continuing to use iMovie as it is basic and easy to use and also because I have iMovie on my home laptop and therefore it is very convenient and easy for me to access. A lot of my shots worked fairly well however many of them need to be cut as a result of things like rain getting on the lens or shaky camera work. However, this isn't
 necessarily a problem as I'm making a trailer so continuity isn't as much of a problem as if I was making a film opening for instance. Also, trailers conventionally include the best and most interesting shots from the film as they want to attract a certain audience and grab their attention, therefore I'm currently editing the shots and including only the best ones in my actual trailer.  An initial problem that I have encountered when editing is that some of the shots cut too quickly to shots from other locations and therefore it looks like they skip important parts of the narrative. To overcome this I will look at including appropriate transitions in between these shots and potentially re-order some of the shots so that when the location changes it is gradual and not sudden and shows a jump in time instead of a random change of location that doesn't make sense. I'm still re-ordering my shots along the      timeline for my film so that the order best
represents the development of the characters relationship. Currently the basic shot order is: the characters first meeting, the characters in a range of locations getting to know each other and falling in love, the characters having an argument and potentially breaking up (disequilibrium) and then a few shots of the characters together again at the end (showing a potential happily ever after ending and equilibrium.) I'm happy with this overall order of shots as I think it represents the film's narrative well and it makes sense that the arguing scenes come after the scenes of them meeting and falling in love. The trailer intends to not give away the film ending otherwise the audience would know what happens and nobody would be interested enough to see it as it would be predictable. Therefore the trailer will end on a cliffhanger with the short few shots of the protagonists together indicating the idea that they could end up being together again, however this is not definite and they also could not resolve things and stay apart.